- Lumenis Total FX CO2 Fractional Laser Overview
- Procedure Walk-Through
- Lumenis Total FX CO2 Fractional Laser FAQ
Lumenis Total FX CO2 Fractional Laser Overview
The Lumenis Total FX uses a CO2, or carbon dioxide, laser to resurface skin and remove deep lines, facial wrinkles, and scars. The laser works by applying a focused beam of light to the skin, removing damaged layers. This reduces heat damage and encourages the production of collagen, which allows for the regeneration of the skin.
- PreparationThere are several steps a patient can take to prepare for a CO2 laser treatment. Sunbathing should be avoided as it can increase the chance of post-procedural hyper-pigmentation, or darkening of the skin. Exfoliating agents should also be avoided for a few weeks before your scheduled appointment. Dr. Vallecillos may also provide certain agents to be used on the face in preparation for the treatment, which can include bleaching agents and glycolic acid. You should use these for six weeks before the procedure to minimize the risk of discoloration and maximize healing.
- AnesthesiaIf the treatment is contained to small areas of the face, local anesthesia will be administered by injection. If the treatment will extend to the entire face, general or intravenous anesthesia may be used to minimize a patient’s discomfort.
- The laser is applied to the area(s) to be treated.The energy from the CO2 laser is projected onto the skin in a columnated fashion, whereby millions of narrow independent light beams pinpoint the deeper layers of the skin. Through the dispersal of the laser light in a columnated fashion, not all of the surface area of the skin is affected, translating into a much quicker healing time. This laser treatment can effectively remove facial wrinkles and scars and even out pigmentation for a younger appearance. It can also be used to reduce photo damage, precancerous zones, and other facial lesions. Treated skin will appear firmer and smoother, skin color may be improved, and years of damage can be removed.
Lumenis Total FX CO2 Fractional Laser FAQ
Who is a candidate for CO2 fractional laser therapy?
You should consider the Lumenis CO2 fractional laser therapy if you suffer from deep wrinkles or lines, acne scars, or other photo damage and facial lesions.
What is the recovery time for CO2 fractional laser therapy?
You should allow for two weeks of recovery time. Side effects include swelling, which can last up to three weeks, and redness, which can persist for up to four months. Treated areas will require dressings, as oozing can occur until the skin begins to heal.
Are there risks or side effects with CO2 fractional laser therapy?
Immediately following the procedure, your face may appear red and slightly swollen. Slight bleeding is rare but can occur. Swelling should diminish within 2-3 weeks, and redness within a few months after your treatment.
How long do the results last?
The effects of CO2 laser treatments can be seen for ten years or longer, and some patients report permanent results. Good skin care practices, before and after the procedure, can help prolong results. If a patient requires additional treatments, there should be a wait of at least six months between procedures.